Temporary Residence with a Residence Permit
The validity of a residence permit is generally limited.
General conditions for granting a permit:
The granting of a residence permit requires above all that
- you have entered the country with the necessary visa and have already provided the information relevant to the issue of the residence permit in the visa application (in particular regarding the purpose of your stay),
- your identity has been established and you meet the passport requirement,
- you can provide for yourself without recourse to public funds (you are considered able to provide for yourself if your income is at least equivalent to the basic level of social assistance plus the costs for accommodation and heating as well as any health insurance contributions - special rules apply in some cases),
- there are no reasons to deport you and
- Insofar as there is no entitlement to a residence permit, your stay does not disrupt or jeopardise the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Additional conditions may arise as a result of the respective purpose of stay for which the residence permit is to be granted.
The Foreigners' Registration Office will grant and extend the residence permit for specific purposes upon application.
The German Residence Act provides for the following types of stay: